Ssangyong Motor Global Sales Record 13,282 units in May 2016
- Ssangyong sells over 13,000 cars for third straight month, up 10.8% YoY globally
- Domestic sales show uptrend for five consecutive months as Tivoli brand models set record
- Ssangyong to further strengthen its global market share based on competitive Tivoli lineup
Seoul, S. Korea, June 1, 2016: Ssangyong Motor (CEO Choi Johng-sik; www.smotor.com), part of the Mahindra Group, today announced that the company sold a total of 13,282 units in May 2016 - 9,191 units in domestic sales and 4,091 in exports.
The Tivoli Air has led Ssangyong’s sales momentum along with Tivoli, helping increase the company's monthly sales in May by 10.8% surpassing 13,000 units for three straight months.
The Tivoli brand models - Tivoli and Tivoli Air (Export name: XLV) - sold 7,545 units globally and led the company's sales growth. On a cumulative basis, their domestic sales rose by 49.4% and exports soared by 71.8% compared to the same period last year.
In the domestic market, the company saw five consecutive months of sales uptrend with an increase of 18.5% over the same month last year. This was driven by the popularity of Tivoli brand models which posted the highest-ever monthly sales to 5,490 units in May since their launches.
Based on such upward sales momentum, Ssangyong is strongly expected to record the seventh consecutive year of growth in the domestic market this year.
In the overseas market, its exports maintained the 4,000 units level for the second consecutive month helped by the sales increase of Tivoli brand models in Europe, but it still showed a drop of 3.3% from the same month last year due to the continuous decrease in demand from the emerging markets.
However, Ssangyong's exports are also expected to get back on track soon since the company has made an effort to tap into new markets such as a shipment of Rexton W smart patrol cars to Peru, and the Tivoli Air is about to be sold globally after its successful global media test-drive event in Spain in May.
Choi Johng-sik, CEO of Ssangyong Motor, commented, "We saw five consecutive months of growth in the domestic market which was attributed to the huge popularity of Tivoli brand models", adding, "We will further expand our position in the global market by tapping into new emerging markets including the Central and South American market as well as the European market based on our enhanced lineup."
Sales Record Table of May 2016
* Korando is an export name of Korando C.
* Actyon Sports is an export name of Korando Sports.
* Rodius is an export name of Korando Turismo.
* Sales of Tivoli brand models
- Mar sales = Domestic sales of 4,797 units (Tivoli 3,358 + Tivoli Air 1,439) + Exports of 2,428 units (Tivoli 1,279 + Tivoli Air 1,149)
- April sales = Domestic sales of 5,375 units (Tivoli 3,033 + Tivoli Air 2,342) + Exports of 2,413 units (Tivoli 1,761 + Tivoli Air 652)
- May sales = Domestic sales of 5,490 units (Tivoli 3,070 + Tivoli Air 2,420) + Exports of 2,055 units (Tivoli 1,422 + Tivoli Air 633)
Other Key Releases
From solar lamps and water jugs and even prosthetic limbs, 3D printing has the potential to drive positive change in the lives of people everywhere. The Mahindra Group has now designed and implemented a pilot project to bring its benefits to semi-urban and rural India.
2016 has gone down in history as Mahindra Racing's most successful Moto3™ World Championship campaign to date. Goals were achieved and surpassed, causing the bar to constantly raise as the season progressed.
Mahindra partners with IBM to develop cloud-based Block Chain application, one of the first projects of its kind in India outside of traditional banking.