Chairman Emeritus – Mahindra & Mahindra
For over six decades, Keshub Mahindra has enabled Mahindra and its people to rise. A graduate of Wharton University Pennsylvania, USA — he joined Mahindra & Mahindra in 1947 and became Chairman in 1963. Although he stepped down from the chairmanship in 2012, he was requested to accept the Office of Chairman Emeritus and still continues to be involved with the activities of the company today and has literally been the backbone of the company.
He is a well-known philanthropist who has redefined good corporate governance. From building ethical corporate organizations in India to serving on prestigious boards and committees, his immense contribution to Indian business has established him as an inspirational business leader and an iconic corporate citizen. He was been appointed by the Government of India to serve on many Committees including the Sachar Commission on Company Law & MRTP and the Central Advisory Council of Industries. In 1987, he was awarded the Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Legion d'Honneur by the French Government. From 2004 to 2010, he was a Member of the Prime Minister’s Council on Trade & Industry, New Delhi.
Mr. Mahindra is a member of the Apex Advisory Council of ASSOCHAM and is President Emeritus of the Employers’ Federation of India. He also served as the President of the Governing Council of the University of Pennsylvania, Institute for the Advanced Study of India, New Delhi. He is an Honorary Fellow of the All India Management Association, New Delhi, and a Member of the Council of the United World Colleges (International) in the United Kingdom.
Most recently, in 2013, he was honored by SIAM/ACMA for his valuable contribution to the Indian Automotive Industry. In 2012, he was felicitated by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Association (FADA), an apex national body representing Automobile Dealers in India, with a Lifetime Contribution Award and he was also awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the Employers’ Federation of India (EFI).
He is presently amongst others on the Board of Directors of the following companies:-
- Chairman of the Board of Governors, The Mahindra United World College of India
- Chairman, Tech Mahindra Foundation
- Chairman, Mahindra Holdings Limited
- Director, Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation Limited
- Director, Bombay Dyeing & Manufacturing Co. Limited
He has also served on several Boards and Councils in both the private and public domain, including SAIL, Tata Steel, Tata Chemicals, Indian Hotels, IFC and ICICI. Mr. Mahindra was also the Founder Chairman of HUDCO (Housing and Urban Development Corporation Limited); Vice Chairman of Housing Development Finance Corporation and Mahindra Ugine Steel.
He is a Member of the following organizations & committees:
- Apex Advisory Council – ASSOCHAM
- Founder Member, Indo-Hellenic Friendship League
- Founder Member, Governing Council, Integrated Research & Action for Development (IRADe) New Delhi
- President, Centre for Research in Rural & Industrial Development Society, Chandigarh
- Chairman, Governing Body, Centre for Research in Rural & Industrial Development, Chandigarh
- President Emeritus, Employers’ Federation of India
- Deputy Chairman & Trustee, Employers’ Federation of India, Social & Labor Research (SOLAR) Foundation.
- Hon. Fellow, All India Management Association, New Delhi.
- Member of Council, The United World Colleges (International) U.K
- Member, Sachar Commission on Company Law & MRTP
- Member, Central Advisory Council of Industries
Positions held by Keshub Mahindra: A Timeline
- 1966-67 President, Bombay Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- 1969-70 President, ASSOCHAM
- 1991-92 President, Indo-American Society
- 1978-95 President, M.V.I.R.D.C. - World Trade Centre
- 1975-85 Chairman, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- 1971-75 Chairman, Housing & Urban Development Corp. Ltd.
- 1984-89 Member of the Foundation Board - International Management Institute, Geneva
- 1986-96 Hon. Member, Business Advisory Council - International Finance Corporation, Washington
- 1983-97 Member, International Council - Asia Society, New York
- 1998-2005 Chairman, India Nominating Committee “Single Nation Programme” – Eisenhower Exchange Fellowships, U.S.A.
- 2004-2010 Member, Prime Minister’s Council on Trade & Industry, New Delhi
- 1995-2011 President of the Governing Council of the University of Pennsylvania, Institute for the Advanced Study of India, New Delhi.
Spearheading social causes:
- Chairman, Mahindra Foundation
- Chairman, Board of Trustees – Population First
- Chairman, Bombay First, Health & Environment Committee
- Chairman & Trustee, K.C. Mahindra Education Trust
- Chairman & Founder Trustee, Bombay City Policy Research Foundation
- Vice-President, National Society for Clean Cities
- Member, Governing Board – United Way of Mumbai
- Member of the International Advisory Board, University of Pennsylvania, Center for the Advanced Study of India, Philadelphia.
- Founding/Life Member of the University of Pennsylvania, Centre for the Advanced Study of India, New Delhi
- Member, Governing Board – Bombay First
- Hon. Member, Rotary Club of Bombay
- Vice-President, National Society for Clean Cities from 1972-2002
- Member of the Governing Body, HelpAge India from 2000-2004
- Member of the Board of Governors, Bharat Shiksha Kosh from 2002-2005.
- Director, Pratham – India Education Initiative from 2003-2008.
Recipient of the following prestigious awards:
- 1972-82 Giants International Business Leadership Award
- 1980 NIF-Mody Enterprises Man of the Year Award
- 1983 Madras Management Association Business Leadership Award
- 1985 Companion - British Institute of Management
- 1987 Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Legion d'Honneur
- 1989 Business India - Businessman of the Year, India
- 1990 Honorary Fellowship of All India Management Association
- 1992 Rotary Award for Vocational Excellence
- 1992 Shiromani Award
- 1993 Vikas Jyoti Award for Outstanding Services, Contribution & Achievements
- 1994 FIE Foundation - Rashtra Bhushan Award
- 1994 The Sir Jehangir Ghandy Medal for Industrial Peace - XLRI, Jamshedpur
- 1996 Rotary Vocational Excellence Award in the field of Industry
- 1998 IMC Diamond Jubilee Endowment Trust Award
- 2000 Motorindia Automan Award
- 2000 Dadabhai Naoroji International Award for Excellence & Lifetime Achievement
- 2003 All India Management Association Lifetime Achievement Award for Management
- 2004 Award from Overdrive for Excellence in the Indian Automotive Hall of Pride
- 2004 Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Corporate Governance
- 2005 Qimpro Platinum Standard – Statesman for Quality – Business Award
- 2006 Lakshya Business Visionary Award – NITIE
- 2007 Indian Business School (IBS) Kolkata Lifetime Achievement Award presented by the Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India (ICFAI).
- 2007 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2008 Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) Award for ‘Lifetime Contribution to the Automotive Industry’
- 2008 CNBC TV 18 India Business Leaders Lifetime Achievement Award 2008
- 2009 ACMA Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2009 Economic Times Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2012 Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations – Lifetime Contribution Award
- 2012 Employers’ Federation of India (EFI) Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2013 Citation of honour from SIAM/ACMA for valuable contribution to the Indian Automotive Industry in India
- 2013 NDTV Business Leadership Awards 2012 – Lifetime Achievement Award.
- 2013 AIMA Managing India Award 2013 – Lifetime Achievement Contribution.
- 2013 Indo-American Society – Founder’s Day Award in appreciation of valuable contribution as Past President – 1991-1993.
- 2013 Wharton Alumni Award for Distinguished Service, Philadelphia.
- 2013 Bombay Management Association (BMA) – Lifetime Achievement Award 2012-2013.
- 2014 Lifetime Achievement Award from ASSOCHAM (The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India)